You may be faced with mold growing in the damp and dark areas of your home like an attic, basement, or bathroom. Mold is a sure sign of water damage that has been left unnoticed or untreated. You might want to bypass the service call and the fees that come along with seeking a restoration company.
You may think that you can handle the moldy situation yourself. However, there are some things to consider before removing mold yourself:
- What type of mold is it? Certain molds can be extremely toxic to humans.
- Mold spores will spread when disrupting the area – allowing mold growth in other parts of the home.
- Breathing in those mold spores can lead to major health concerns.
When it comes to mold, you’re best off leaving it to the pros, and here’s why:
- Mold is typically evident due to water damage. Professionals, before starting the remediation process, will determine the source that’s causing the issue. Without correcting the source of the problem, you will be fighting a moldy uphill battle.
- Most people who try to remove mold themselves don’t have the proper protective gear to stay safe from the potential health hazards. You may think that using bleach or other household chemicals will extinguish the problem. However, those over-the-counter household chemicals only band-aid the mold growth.
- You might be able to see a difference in color or staining of the mold while using these products, but they are not proven to eliminate all spores, meaning that the mold will find its way back to the area, or worse, spread to areas that were once not affected at all.
Mold should be tested and assessed in order to put an action plan into place. With the correct blueprint, trained technicians can properly remediate the damage, as well as prevent the damage from spreading. A restoration company like TMC Restoration is then able to protect themselves with the required PPE gear (personal protective equipment), and contain the affected areas by laying and hanging plastic sheeting throughout the area, also known as “containment”. TMC Restoration has the necessary equipment, such as air scrubbers, to ensure that spores are not spreading. An air scrubber is a device that removes air pollution, VOCs, surface contaminants, pet dander, odors and dust. Professionals are able to perform a thorough cleaning and remove contaminated materials. Restoration companies, such as TMC Restoration, have technicians that complete certified training courses on how to properly remediate mold. In conclusion, save the headache and worry for the professionals, removing mold yourself isn’t worth the hassle later on!